Gunnislake, or Lynngonna to give it its Cornish name, was a mining boom town in Victorian times and in 1862 more than 7000 people were employed in the mines of the Tamar Valley.
The name Gunnislake is a derivation of two words - 'gunnis' meaning an open mine-working, and 'lake' the Cornish term for water.
There has recently been discovered a significant Roman Fort on the outskirts of Calstock, the biggest known Roman site in Cornwall and the famous painting by Turner 'Crossing the Brook' exhibited in 1815 is in fact a view of Newbridge.
Festival commitee member Dorothy Kirk and co-author Diana Cook have recently published their book 'Turner In The Tamar Valley' available from Dorothy.
Gunnislake is now home to around 1,800 people.